Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Boo'd up for the weekend Pt 1 of 3 (A Myspace throwback)

Enigma's Note: This was written in December of 2007 for Myspace. Most of you will remember "Rocky" from my "To Catch a Cheater" posts. I thought about this series after reading Suga's article on black woman and their relationship requirements. This blog and the two that follow chronicles one of mine and "Rocky's" first weekends together from Friday-Saturday. Enjoy!

After spending most of Friday bored shitless at work, I was anxious to get the fuck outta dodge come 5pm SHARP.

I arrived at TLC2's (my son) school at 5:15 exactly with 15 minutes to spare to speak with Sister Such-n-Such about the school's upcoming Christmas show before the after school teachers kicked my baby out of class.

After securing my duties as a newbie stage mom, I grabbed the munchkin and we jetted to the grocery store to rack up on supplies for the weekend. I had been planning my weekend all day and I had big plans in store for us. I'd had visions of movies and comforters bouncing in my head all day, and the only thing I needed to make it come to light was to make sure we didn't run out of juice, tissue and food. I could do that.



As we walked towards the direction of the store and home, "Rocky", my boyfriend (yes, I said boyfriend . . . let's not make a big deal of it though, K?) called me on my cell. I informed him of my planned mission to search for sustenance and gave him my ETA (estimated time of arrival). Once he and I hung up, I spent the rest of the walk explaining to TLC2 the difference between pedestrians and drivers and why Santa Clause sleeps during the day (that particular convo was actually a continuation of one we'd had that morning. He asked me why the inflatable black Santa that was on our neighbors' front lawn was never fully blown up during the day and only at nighttime. I told him it's because Santa sleeps during the day so that he can make toys and deliver them to the kiddies at night. Of course all of this was for naught as at the end of the conversation, TLC, in all his infinite wisdom looked up at me and said, "But it's really all just pretend, right Mommy?") I love that 'lil boy!



Finally we get to the store and, as I'd expected, it was packed with people. One of the few things I love about living in the hood is this particular store. The grocery store itself is huge and reasonable priced, but the best part of it is the many little stores that surround it. There's a bank, a furniture store, a florist and a we-got-it-all store that sells everything from "LV" bags to the latest hood literature and . . .the greatest and hoodest of them all. . .the "Spot". That is the name that I have given to the little room located at the entrance of the grocery store. In there you can get the latest movie (ones that have come out and those not yet even in theaters, the latest cd's (mixed, club, R&B, you name it) and . . get this. .. coats, retro Jordans and Timbs too. Yep, gotta love the hood!




After copping us Spiderman 3, Daddy Day Camp and Slow Burn, TLC2 and I head in to get the rest of our provisions.

One of the things I've noticed about being in new relationships is all of the oldies that start calling once word is out that you're taken. Usually I just ignore the calls until they get the hint and lose my number. But, being 25 for the second year in a row, I'm trying to display some maturity. So, this time around, when the old guys started sniffing around and calling out of the blue, I took the calls and told them straight up that I was no longer on the market.



One guy in particular to that news exceptionally hard. Apparently he'd had big plans for US, unbeknownst to me and me having a man after being single for a year and some change had clearly fucked up his plans (though I hadn't heard from him in months and had only known him for 9 days before he got locked up for 9 months). Apparently me ignoring his calls through out that entire time had only convinced him even further that we belonged together. (huh?) But I digress. . .



Anyway, who should we see as we rounded the corner onto the pancake aisle, but the jokah in question . . . who proceeded to follow us around the damn store. You have got to be kidding me! So now as I shop, not only do I have to keep and eye on TLC2's wild ass (who buy the way often has to be reminded that we have to pay for stuff before we open them) but I have to try to dip and dodge this fool too. After professing his undying love for me and letting me know how special I will always be to him and how I broke his heart by having a man, he finally vanished and left me to finish my shopping.



Once at checkout I realized that I gone a bit overboard. I had only intended to get a few things but I was leaving out with at least 3 heavy bags worth of stuff. Unfortunately I had already assured "Rocky" that I'd be ok getting home, so he would no doubt be ass deep in cleaning up the mess TLC2 and I had made earlier in the day looking for his homework book. Plus, if I called him to come meet me, I'd have to hear a big, stupid speech about how I'm not Superwoman and I need to learn that I don't have to do everything myself anymore. . yada, yada, yada. I ain't wanna hear that shit, so




I put on my gloves and made it happen.

As TLC2 and I walked up the block, who is walking towards us but "Rocky". He knows me so well . . . he just looked at me with a smirk as I relinquished the bags over to him. TLC2 grabbed each of our hands and we made our way to the house.

I stepped into a house that was cleaned form top to bottom smelling like Indian fruit incense. As TLC2 got settled in, I showered my job away and put on my "weekend Enigma" uniform, his shirt. I lay in his arms as we debated on dinner. Chinese? Nope, had it for lunch (me). Pizza? Nope, not in the mood for it (him). "You know, you could always walk to Barshay's for some burgers. . . (me batting eyelashes and stroking his back. Him, not falling for it. Fuck it, will you make me a grilled cheese? Yep, problem solved.




I watched my recorded episode of the latest "Grey's Anatomy" as "Rocky" hooked up grilled cheese for us and hotdogs for TLC2. Loving my new situation, I smiled as he bought me my first one. He preferred cooking in the pan that could only hold one sandwich at a time. Since I wanted two, he bought me the first one as soon as it was ready, rather then both at a time so that they wouldn't be cold.



Once we were done eating, TLC2 shut his door and entered the world of a 5 year old and we played cards, "2000" to be specific. He'd taught me to play less than a week ago, but I had gotten good at whooping his ass. Later we snacked on York Peppermint Pattie Klondike bars and talked and laughed for hours about nothing specific and everything in particular. I laughed and snuggled until I was waking up and it was Saturday morning.












No comments: