I am depressed (according to the clinical definition)and I have been for as long as I can remember. The sad part is, I did not realize it until last January. At the time, my oldest sister was working at a hospital and got invited to a seminar for Black Health Care Professionals. Since she knew I was having a hard time trying to decide what to go to grad school for, (and since it was at Sylvia’s Soul Food restaurant), she took me along.
One of the speakers there was a social worker turned public relations agent named Terrie M. Williams. Besides speaking, she was also there selling her latest book, Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We’re Not Hurting. Words cannot explain how much this book has touched me. I have never been the self-help book type, but this one right here hit so close to home that I had to share it with others.
The main focus of the book is how black people don’t address the depression or pain we may be feeling within because it is not allowed in our culture. We’re just supposed to “deal with it”. Don’t agree? Think about the last time you heard some starlette was in the hospital for “exhaustion” and you’re reaction to it. Yea. If you’re anything like me, than you were thinking that it was some ‘ole bullshit! lol
Just to give you some insight as to what the book covers, here’s the chapter outline:
Foreword by Mary J. Blige
Foreword by Susan L. Taylor
Introduction: Black Blues
Chapter One: Depression: Not Killing us Softly
Chapter Two: I’m Not Your Superwoman: Overworked, Undervalued, and Under Pressure
Chapter Three: I Wish It Would rain: Black Men and Depression
Chapter Four: It’s A Hard Knock Life: The Young and the Depressed
Chapter Five: That’s What Friends Are For: How Loved Ones Can Help
Chapter Six: A Spiritual Hospital: The Black Church and Depression]
Chapter Seven: Don’t Snap Out of It!: Healing in Your Own Time
Chapter Eight: Oh, Lord, Please Don’t let Me Be Misunderstood: Can I Get a Diagnosis?
Chapter Nine: I Will Survive: Getting the Healing Done-Therapy, Medication,
Alternative Medicine, Exercise and Spirituality
A Final Word: Making A Way Out of No Way
If any of those titles strike a chord with you, I encourage you to get the book. It is definitely worth it. And don’t worry, the read is very easy, not the least bit clinically worded and there are several stories from artists and other stars sharing their stories.
Totally worth it.
For more information, you can visit her website.
One of the speakers there was a social worker turned public relations agent named Terrie M. Williams. Besides speaking, she was also there selling her latest book, Black Pain: It Just Looks Like We’re Not Hurting. Words cannot explain how much this book has touched me. I have never been the self-help book type, but this one right here hit so close to home that I had to share it with others.
The main focus of the book is how black people don’t address the depression or pain we may be feeling within because it is not allowed in our culture. We’re just supposed to “deal with it”. Don’t agree? Think about the last time you heard some starlette was in the hospital for “exhaustion” and you’re reaction to it. Yea. If you’re anything like me, than you were thinking that it was some ‘ole bullshit! lol
Just to give you some insight as to what the book covers, here’s the chapter outline:
Foreword by Mary J. Blige
Foreword by Susan L. Taylor
Introduction: Black Blues
Chapter One: Depression: Not Killing us Softly
Chapter Two: I’m Not Your Superwoman: Overworked, Undervalued, and Under Pressure
Chapter Three: I Wish It Would rain: Black Men and Depression
Chapter Four: It’s A Hard Knock Life: The Young and the Depressed
Chapter Five: That’s What Friends Are For: How Loved Ones Can Help
Chapter Six: A Spiritual Hospital: The Black Church and Depression]
Chapter Seven: Don’t Snap Out of It!: Healing in Your Own Time
Chapter Eight: Oh, Lord, Please Don’t let Me Be Misunderstood: Can I Get a Diagnosis?
Chapter Nine: I Will Survive: Getting the Healing Done-Therapy, Medication,
Alternative Medicine, Exercise and Spirituality
A Final Word: Making A Way Out of No Way
If any of those titles strike a chord with you, I encourage you to get the book. It is definitely worth it. And don’t worry, the read is very easy, not the least bit clinically worded and there are several stories from artists and other stars sharing their stories.
Totally worth it.
For more information, you can visit her website.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing, Sis!!!
Post a Comment