Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Introducing: "Pookie" (A Teenage Love affair)





When I was in the seventh grade, my best friend at the time. "Kat" (who was two yrs my senior) had just gotten re-acquainted with her estranged dad and discovered that she had an older sister that lived in the same city as us. Let me say here that I was about 4 months shy of turning 13 around this time. I had lost both my virginity and my dad within the previous year, just months apart (another story for another day) I hadn't had sex since my first time, but that didn't stop me from being a boy crazy, hot-tailed little girl. I'm the baby of the family and was a fairly good kid. My older sisters were all out on their own and doing their own thing and my mom saw this as her opportunity to take a rest since I required minimal guidance (or so it appeared). I was living the good life- my sister made sure I stayed fresh, had spending money in my pocket and saw the latest movies and my mom made sure my room was fully equipped and the envy of my less-fortunate friends. As long as my grades stayed above average and i made curfew (which I didn't always manage to do), my mom gave me little to no boundaries.


Anywho, Kat and Oldersister developed a relationship and before long "Kat" and I were taking the approximately 20 block walk from our hood to visit "Kat's" older sister. At first it was just because we didn't have anything else to do and we knew that Kat's older sister would entertain us with stories of her live-in boyfriend and his crazy as friends. But, after a few weeks of us taking that daily trek after school and on weekends, we discovered an even better reason to make that block our second home...those crazy ass friends!!!. When I tell you that group was a preteen, boy-crazy girl's dream, I tell you all no lie. There were about six of them total and they were fione in their own right.

Live-In (about 26)- This was older sister's boyfriend and babydaddy. He was a cutie, but obviously off limits and a real family man, so we didn't see him much so we'll by right pass him to his little brother...

GreenEyes (about 17-18) - GreenEyes was Live-In's younger brother that lived right next door with the rest of Live-In's family. There family rolled deep... I think they had about 6 younger siblings, all extremely light and all with those green eyes. GreenEyes was probably the finest out of the whole crazy ass crew but that nigga was nuts. He once threw one of our friends down a flight of stairs for no reason at all, and tried to push my off of the side of a porch one day. (I was saved by his best friend and my boo, but still, he tried!!!). I quickly learned to stay clear of him an my boo let it be known that I was off limits as far as his antics.

Pookie *this was my actual pet name for him at the time* (about 18-19)- He was GreenEyes' best friend and lived in the apartment right next to Oldersister and Live-In. He was brown skin, about 6ft and had the sexiest, juiciest lips my 12 year old eyes had ever seen. He was more laid back than the rest of the crew and that intrigued me. It was not unusual for him to sit on the porch and shake his head as his friends showed their asses all up and down the block. You could tell that he was more mature than the rest of them and that probably had alot to do with the things he'd been thru in his young life. a life I didn't know much about save the knowledge that he was living with his Aunt and cousins because he'd "gotten in trouble". On maybe my second or third trip up to the block with Kat, he let the others know that he had his eye on me and made it his mission to make me his. It didn't take long for him to succeed.

Mooney (about 16-17)- He was Pookie's cousin and the silly one of the bunch, probably b/c he was the youngest. Mooney looked like his dad was Native American or something, his skin was a beautiful red tinted brown and he had the softest curliest jet black hair I had every seen on a black man. If he was around then we knew it wouldn't be long before our stomachs and cheeks were hurting from laughing so much. He and "Kat" soon developed a romance.

Black (about 21-22??)- Black was the OG of the group and in my personal opinion the cutest. He didn't even live on the block anymore, but came around every once in awhile just to remind folks that it was still his hood. lol Whenever he came thru, he and Mooney would keep us in stitches

There were a few others that dwindled in and out, but that was the core group of guys that Kat and I had in mind as we walk those 20 or so blocks every day. For the most part it was just the two of us going up there, but we had a few other girlfriends who would join us every now and then hoping to snag an older boo of their own.

Pookie and I developed a "relationship" that lasted about 4 months before things fell apart. I put the word relationship in quotes because it really only consisted of me going up there daily to see him and us hugging and laughing and kissing and chilling for a few hours each day. If I didn't go up there, I didn't see him. We didn't talk on the phone and there was no way his old ass was coming near my hood where an adult might catch wind of our torrid love affair. Plus, I had my in-school boo and I'm almost positive that he had other chicks too. . . especially since he and I never had sex and he never made it much of an issue.

Everything was fine until I walked up there by myself to see him one day and he invited me into the house. This in itself was weird as usually we spent out time together in the park down the street because his house was always crowded. Anywho, I go into the bedroom and there's a girl sitting on his bed. He tells me to have a seat and proceeds to tell me that the girl is Dominique, his new girlfriend. He said she was "there for him" and that he was sorry, yada, yada, yada. I storm out and he follows me to the front door. He tries to stop me from leaving so that he can apologize. He tells me he didn't mean to hurt me. I ask him "How long?". He tells me "About two weeks". I roll my eyes and punch his chest. I had just seen him two days ago and he was all over me, telling me how much he cared. I say "Well I'm sure you could have did something besides hugging and kissing all over me" and I leave out, slamming the door behind me.


Little did I know that that would not be my last time seeing him...nor would it be my last time losing him...








To be continued....










5 comments:

TheBlogArtistFormerlyKnownAsYBandDL said...

Why is it those real fione ones and sexy ones are always the crazy ones? This goes for women too, its always those sexy ones, that has that loose screw, that you don't notice until they slash your tires...or well...try to push you you off the side of a high porch.

From your description Green eyes would probably be the one I crushed on the most, and would end up wanting to get with.

20 blocks?...everyday?...no wonder after, Pookie you went for the guy with the shiny white car...the things you do when you young...and well simple...but this sounds so familiar.

I remember in middle school, for some reason, this incident, where this girl was crying over her "boyfriend," because he cheated on her...he had hugged some other girl and held her hand down the hall. So that was cheating back then...so in your case Pookie broke your heart for a split second, but he was honest. Sad thing that at 18 that was your only case of a guy being honest about his situation.

I have a bad feeling about the way you lef this post...he going to die isn't he.

Ms. Jones said...

I think that's the cost for being fione, instability! lol

EVERY girl that came up there with us crushed HARD for GreenEyes and he didn't give them the time of day. I never saw the real appeal to him because ALL he had was light skin and green eyes, but it early '90's so they were in. He was a dick tho...still is...

Yep, 20 blocks...and yes, that WAS the biggest draw to Marble head lol WSo young so dumb so bored... lol

Check again, he was 18...I wa smore like 12, 13... and STILL over 10 yrs later, he is STILL the only one to fes up...smh

Hursh! Let ME tell the story!!! lol

suga said...

What the hell was his motivation to being you in the house with Domonique sitting on the bed? What in hades..!?!?! lol

I remember being young (15-16) dating 18-22 yr olds. Now that I'm older, I can only think, "What kinda weirdo adult would be that interested in a teenager?" I seriously had dudes making me their girlfriend, and I'm walking around thinking I'm the ish, but now I'm like "whats wrong with you that you cant get a woman closer to your age?"

When I was around 23, my boyfriend at the time had a friend who would constantly date high schoolers and I used to really give him the side eye...and then I realized, I used to be one of those high schoolers being fast lol smh

Ms. Jones said...

Suga, I think teh exact sam thing about the guys I used to mees whip as a youngin'. And I most def give guys my age who mess with younger girls the extreme side eye. I have two nieves that will be turning 14 at the end of the year and I already have my shot gun just awaiting in case I see soem grown as man sniffing around.

Ms. Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.